Learn beginner sewing skills including operating a sewing machine, hand sewing, and making a zipper pouch! This class is best suited for all beginning sewers ages 13 and up.
Limited number of sewing machines will be avialable to students. Students are welcome to bring their own if they would like to.
- All-purpose thread (Bring for the first class) https://a.co/d/3eIkhX3
- Fabric scissors (Bring for the first class) https://a.co/d/acBbpn0
- Pins (Bring for the first class) https://a.co/d/7dAIjA8
- Hand sewing needle
- Hook and eye
- Regular Zipper (9 inches – NOT invisible zipper)
- ½ yard cotton fabric for zipper pouch exterior
- ½ yard of cotton fabric for zipper pouch interior
About the artist:
Emily Henry gained knowledge and skills about fashion design and the industry through fashion design school, Made Institute, in Philadelphia, PA. With her education, work experience, and her love of sewing, art, and sustainability, she was inspired to spread the joys and importance of eco-consciousness through her art and fashion. Currently, Emily makes and sells sustainable fashion and accessories. She also loves to crochet, embroider, and experiment with textile art. Alongside her creative projects, Emily works in the fashion industry as Community Organizer for the global organization Remake, Community Coordinator for Made Institute, and stitcher for local brands.
This class is offered as part of Perkins Folklife Center programming. Special pricing for these classes and workshops is made possible with support from NJ State Council on the Arts.