The focus will be on direct method painting. Painters at all levels are welcome to join. Composition, color, light, and brush calligraphy will be discussed. Brief demos will be provided prior to each new topic we cover through out the course and group critiques we will have at the end of each finished assignment has been completed.
• Oil or acrylic paint
• Birch panel 11"x14" (3)
• Brands of oil paint that are good: Gamblin and Windsor and Newton
• Brands of Acrylic: Golden
• Brushes: Natural hair a variety in size of philberts, rounds, and flats.
• Colors for both Oil and Acrylic: Ivory black, titanium, white, ultramarine blue, viridian green, alizarin crimson, yellow ochre, Quinacradone red, Naples yellow, Burnt sienna, Raw umber, Burnt umber, and Olive Green
• A jar for water or Solvent
• Wooden palette or palette paper
• A small pad of oil paper, and a small pad of mixed paper for acrylics.
• Charcoal or Graphite
• Masking tape
Emily Rose Hirtle is from Westerville, Ohio. She attended The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts and received her BFA and Certificate in Painting in 2017. In May of 2019, she received her MFA in Drawing from The New York Academy of Art. Her work is part of numerous collections such as: The Linda Lee Alter Collection in Philadelphia, PA; Actress and Model Brooke Shield’s and Actor Aidan Turner. She is a practicing artist and a drawing/painting instructor for numerous institutions in Philadelphia, PA.